Are you felling an old walnut to use as a firewood or trying to trim the elms of the tree branches in your backyard to keep it looking decent?
A chainsaw can be a useful tool for that and more.
The offer swift cutting speed, significant versatility and power. Some chainsaws are more suitable for tree felling, some are great for ripping logs, while you can use others for cutting firewood, or if you are creative, for carving.
Consequently, there are many reasons you’ll want to get the best for your money.
It doesn’t matter whether you are purchasing this on budget or willing to spend a fortune, you deserve to get the highest quality and superb performance from your machine.
However, to ensure this is the case, there are certain things you need to consider. Some are straightforward while others require your rapt attention.
Let’s look at some of these things:
What to Look for When Purchasing the Best Chainsaw for the Money
1. Chainsaw Weight:
The first thing you want to look for is the weight of the machine.
Usually, a high-quality chainsaw will be lighter (than a cheaper one), therefore, will be easier to use. A good chainsaw will feel well balanced in your hands as it distributes the weight more evenly.
Typically, for cheaper models, the ergonomics just isn’t there so the machine not only feels heavier but it also feel a bit awkward to use, which contributes to operator fatigue.
Moreover, the engine performance will be better unlike cheaper models with heavy weight and less engine performance.
Since you want to derive the absolute best for what you spend, this is the first feature you should look for in the machine you are purchasing.
When you get a chainsaw with great engine performance, it’ll help you to complete your projects faster.
2. The Air Filter System:
Another important aspect to look at is the air filter system.
A good chainsaw will be engineered and designed to keep the dust and dirt out. With a good air filter, the machine will be able to keep a balanced performance under different workloads.
Another advantage is that it will prolong the life of the machine, especially if you don’t overlook the routine maintenance of the air filters.
While you’ll likely find the air filter system on every chainsaw, not all of them are effective. One of the reasons why so many chainsaws collapse too early is the lack of a quality air filter system in place.
So enjoy your machine for longer, don’t overlook this aspect.
3. The Recoil Starter:
A very important feature you need to consider next is the recoil starter.
Now, the recoil starter on a quality chainsaw will be made of quality parts which are heavy-duty and not cheap.
If you notice that things like the recoil starter springs are made of lighter/flimsy materials, then you should expect it not to last long.
For example, the recoil starter spring might break, thus, rendering the chainsaw inoperable.
Moreover, the machine will be cheap in build, quality, and design, making it susceptible to fatigue and quick wear and tear.
4. Chainsaw Engine:
Let’s move on to the chainsaw engine. You should look for a quality engine design which is usually on a lower noise level – typically a 50:1 fuel mix.
Because of this, it will have lower emissions and burn the fuel at a cleaner level.
If you are a strong adherent of buying environmental friendly machines, you might even pay more attention here to select such chainsaw that’ll produce little to no carbon emissions.
The truth is, buying an electric chainsaw will help you avoid things like this totally.
However, there are some projects that just can’t be completed in your backyard so you may need a petrol chainsaw or something similar to work outside of the home.
Ultimately, your buying decision depends on what you are planning on using the chainsaw for.
Lastly, consider the chain and bar system. You want something that has a heavy duty chain and bar system because it’ll output more torque.
On the one hand, you’ll have more torque with a quality bar and chain system. On the other hand, you should expect less torque (and power) for a lean chain and bar system.
Now that you understand what to look for, what’s next?
You may not even be able to narrow down to a specific chainsaw after considering all these features. Not to worry!
I’ve have done all the research for you.
Instead of spending hours or days trying to select the right chainsaw, here are the best chainsaws for the money this year:
Best Chainsaw for the Money (Reviews and Ratings)
- Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20-Inch Gas-Powered Chain Saw
- Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw
- Husqvarna 460 – 24″ Rancher Chain Saw
- BLACK+DECKER LCS1240 40-volt Cordless Chainsaw
- Remington RM4620 Outlaw 46cc 20-inch Gas Chainsaw
The following is a complete review of each of these chainsaws. In each review, I’ve covered the pros, cons, and specific feature of each model.
Let’s get right into the world of chainsaws with this in-depth reviews and recommendations.
1. Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20-Inch Gas-Powered Chain Saw
Husqvarna’s professional gasoline chain saw is a high-quality, high-performance device that is easy to use even in the professional field.
The price of the 2.2 hp (1.6 kW) device with a displacement of 40.9 cm³ is correspondingly high.
With a sword length of 38 cm, even thicker wood can be cut to a diameter of about 30 – 35 centimeters, making the saw well suited for use in forestry operations.
It weighs about 5 kilograms, including cutting equipment, but it fits perfectly in the hand and works very low in vibration.
As a result, even demanding or longer-lasting work can be done reliably and well.
Pros Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20-Inch Gas-Powered Chain Saw
- Performance: The high-quality gasoline chainsaw operates with a power of 1.6 kW, which corresponds to 2.2 hp.
- Engine: The engine is very powerful with a displacement of 40.9 cc and provides a very good power transmission. He also works very low vibration for a gasoline engine.
- Sword length: At 38 cm, the sword is quite long, which also works well with thicker wood.
- Handling: All important maintenance work on the fuel pump, oil or the retightening of the chain is very easy because everything is easily accessible. In addition, the model is very good in the hand.
- Processing: All components are high quality and well finished. This makes the machine durable and robust.
Cons Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20-Inch Gas-Powered Chain Saw
- Price: In terms of price, the model is already located in the upper range and therefore certainly not suitable for every private person in question.
- Volume: The good performance is accompanied by the disadvantage that the device already works very loud with 100 dB.
2. Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw
This chain saw works with a power of 2PS and has a 63 PM3 chain with a sword length of 35cm.
The model features snap fasteners in the latest version that was tested and offers great overall handling, making it ideal for professional use as well.
Pros of the Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw
- Performance: The 2 hp engine works efficiently, provides a very good power transmission and is very reliable.
- Processing: The processing of chain, housing and motor is very high quality and designed for longevity.
- Sword length: With a length of 63 cm, you can handle thick logs and large components well.
- Handling: The device lies perfectly in the hand and can be operated comfortably.
Cons of the Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw
- Price: The chainsaw is priced at a fairly high level, so it certainly is not for everyone.
- Oil loss: The device loses oil when not in use for a long time, which should not happen in this price range.
3. Husqvarna 460 – 24″ Rancher Chain Saw
This model prevailed as the best chainsaw and thus as the test winner among the models with a gasoline engine.
The device is priced in the lower midfield, works with a 1,350 watts (1.8 hp) engine with a displacement of 35 cc and is ideal for most tasks in the private sector.
So you can use the gasoline chainsaw for fruit tree care as well as for felling and debonding of wood with a diameter up to about 20 centimeters.
Due to the relatively low weight of 4.1 kilograms for a gasoline model, it fits comfortably in your hand and is transportable.
Even longer-lasting work with the device is no problem.
Pros of the Husqvarna 460 – 24″ Rancher Chain Saw
- Performance: The petrol chainsaw boasts a high performance of 1.8 hp, which corresponds to 1,350 watts.
- Weight: At just 4.1 kilograms, the device is still relatively light and therefore easy to handle.
- Engine: The 2-stroke engine has a volume of 35cm³ and provides a good power transfer so that all usual tasks can be done easily.
- Chain oil tank: Thanks to a separate oil tank for the chain, you do not have to grease these manually.
- Processing: The workmanship is bottom line despite many plastic elements very well.
- Price-performance: The fair price in connection with the good equipment is the price-performance ratio the bottom line very good.
- Sword Length: The longer version has a 40 cm long sword. This allows even thicker components and branches easily cut through.
Cons of the Husqvarna 460 – 24″ Rancher Chain Saw
Housing: The low weight and the low price are reflected somewhat in this case because this is equipped with many plastic elements.
Vibration: Typical for gasoline powered chainsaws is a fairly strong vibration, which is much more pronounced compared to electric chainsaws.
4. BLACK+DECKER LCS1240 40-volt Cordless Chainsaw
This Black + Decker model is one of the best battery chainsaws on the market. The saw uses an 18 volt and 2.0 Ah lithium-ion battery that powers the 1,600-watt motor.
The cheap chainsaw has a sword length of 25cm, which allows you to cut through wood with a maximum thickness of 15 – 18 cm.
Thus, the device is suitable for smaller operations, tree and shrub cutting as well as the crushing of various woods in the private sector.
Pros of the BLACK+DECKER LCS1240 40-volt Cordless Chainsaw
- Battery: Thanks to the battery, you can work flexibly with the device and do not have to buy gasoline.
- Performance: The 2.0 Ah lithium-ion battery powers a 1,600-watt motor. Thus, the model is very powerful despite battery operation.
- Construction: The chainsaw is compact and handy, so it works very well with it.
- Value for money: The solid workmanship in conjunction with the relatively low price, the overall price-performance ratio is very good.
- Low vibration: The electric motor runs quietly, quietly and with very little vibration.
- Weight: With a weight of just 3.1 kilograms, the handling is very good overall.
Cons of the BLACK+DECKER LCS1240 40-volt Cordless Chainsaw
- Sword length: Due to the heavy length of only 25cm, the scope is limited to woods with a maximum thickness of about 18 cm.
- Running time: Despite strong battery is after a maximum of 150 to 200 cuts and the end of the accumulator must for 5 hours to the charging station.
5. Remington RM4620 Outlaw 46cc 20-inch Gas Chainsaw
This 4.6-kilogram electric chainsaw is connected by cable to a conventional power outlet and works with a 2,200-watt electric motor.
With a sword length of 35 cm, you can also cut through wood up to a thickness of about 30 centimeters well and efficiently, so that the model is also well suited for use on construction sites or for carpenters.
However, the model is also priced in the upper midfield settled, so that a purchase for the private sector is only partially worthwhile.
It depends on how and how often you want to use the saw. You must remember that you always need a power outlet and an extension cord. The cable attached to the device has a length of 2.5 meters.
Pros of the Remington RM4620 Outlaw 46cc 20-inch Gas Chainsaw
- Performance: The electric chainsaw operates with a power of 2,200 watts.
- Weight: With a weight of 4.6 kilograms, the device is still light and compact, making it easy to handle.
- Engine: The electric motor runs very quietly, smoothly and with low vibration.
- Long-term use: Since neither petrol must be refilled nor a rechargeable battery charged, you can work very well with the device for a long time at a time.
- Safety: The device is very safe, which is not least due to the very fast setback brake.
- Processing: Overall, the model is very well made and therefore durable and robust.
Cons of the Remington RM4620 Outlaw 46cc 20-inch Gas Chainsaw
- Wired: Always rely on the presence of a power outlet to operate the device, which may make it less flexible.
- Price: In terms of price, the device is already located in the upper midfield and therefore certainly not suitable for every home user.
Final Words on the Best Chainsaw for the Money
When looking for the best chainsaw for the money, you’ll need to first draw out your needs, expectations, and most importantly, your budget.
Make sure your expectations is not far from your budget as that will help you select the right one quickly and save you a lot of headaches later one.
You should also restrict your order to genuine online stores like Amazon which we always recommend because of their widely trusted brand and reputation. Or shop from the manufacturers directly so there is no middleman.
The advantage of choosing a reputable retailer or brand is that you get quality guarantees and can return the chainsaw if it’s defective on delivery.
When you click any of the links above, you’ll be taken to the product page for the chainsaw, where you can read reviews from other users like you. With this guide, you should be able to choose the one that suits you and reinforce your decision with the reviews on the product page.