Because there are so many chainsaw models out there, it might be difficult to choose the best chainsaw under 200.
Couple with the fact that you are looking for a cheap machine, deciding on the right one might require you to cut through a good deal of information.
And if you are a beginner, you are likely to be confused before you even know where to look.
It is possible to just look for a cheap chainsaw, buy it and call it a day, however, that may end up being a waste.
What then is the right way to do this?
The way forward is to know what/how you want to use the saw, where to look and which brand offers the best chainsaw at this price point.
Fortunately, this guide will help you with the last two points.
Not only will you learn what to look for, but I’ll also help you decide the best brand and the best model to choose.
Comparison of the Top Picks for 2019:
Top 6 Best Chainsaws Under 200 – Reviews and Ratings:
#1. WORX WG304.1 18 Inch/15.0 Amp Electric Chainsaw
To run as a worthy contender to its competitors, The WORX electric chainsaw offers a 4.0 horsepower engine, with an 18-inch chain, powered at 15. amps.
Truly a force to be reckoned with, this chainsaw has a state of the art, and most importantly, patented chain replacement and adjustment system that is tool free.
If you are performing a task far from your home or site and forget your tools, the oversized knob that is conveniently located on the chainsaw ensures that your bar and chain maintains its tension for hundreds of uses, and prevents you from overtightening and straining the chain.
Unlike more traditional competitors, the WORX electric does not require you to mix oil and gas, saving you the hassle of needing to clean the saw frequently of the residue and grease that accumulates.
This also has the added benefit that difficult start-ups are no longer a problem, so you can get started on your work that much quicker.
To grant an extended lifespan and ensure optimal quality, the easily refillable 6.75-ounce oil reservoir is connected to an automatic oil, which ensures that your chain, blades and sprocket are lubricated at all times.
Safety is a concern no longer, as the built-in safety chain brake stops the chain in seconds when intentional, improper or accidental use or contact is made.
Advantages of the WORX WG304.1 18 Inch/15.0 Amp Electric Chainsaw
- 15 Amp Motor. This motor delivers power that’s comparable to that of a gas-powered chainsaw. Along with the 18-inch extended bar, the 15 Amp motor supplies a powerful cutting performance.
- Automatic Oiler. The WORX 18″ Chainsaw comes with a built-in oiler that keeps the chain and bar lubricated. This automatic oiler provides constant lubrication to the chain and bar, which prevents rusting and thus prolonging their lifespan. Keeping both of these oil and smooth ensures the machine is ready to go anytime.
- Auto-Tension System. This system prevents over/under tightening helps the chainsaw maintain proper tension during operation while securing both the chain and bar for optimum performance. It doesn’t matter how much material you want to put your chainsaw through, you should enjoy the right tension as this is automatically done for you.
- Lightweight. If you are a beginner, you obviously know the importance of working with a light chainsaw. Fortunately, this chainsaw will help you handle tough jobs while ensuring minimum mental and physical fatigue.
- Built-in Chain Brake. This brake works with the low kickback bar to provide additional safety.
- Ergonomic Handle. Both the front and rear handles are rubberized giving you a full and ergonomic grip. This will ensure you get full control and maintain comfort while cutting through tough material.
Disadvantages of the WORX WG304.1 18 Inch/15.0 Amp Electric Chainsaw
- Design. The chain tightener on the chainsaw is also the bar tightener. Usually, the bar is supposed to be rigid while the chain is cut some slack. This means that when the chain further slackens during operation, this might cause the bar to become wobbly, which can be dangerous. And if you try to tight the bar properly, you’ll be putting more load on the chain as it will be too tight.
- Parts Maybe Unavailable. If you are planning to use this for the long-term, you’ll likely want to change parts as time goes on. Unfortunately, some of the parts on the chainsaw, like the chain, may not be available locally. However, if you are not worried about ordering directly from the manufacturer, then you should have not a problem.
Who is this for?
If you are looking for the best electric chainsaw under $200, this is a good option for you. It’s lightweight, powerful and suitable for most woodworking projects.
#2. Black+Decker Alligator LP1000 Lopper Electric Chain Saw
Black and Decker, a brand driven by high quality, launches the LP1000 Alligator Lopper 4.5 amp Electric Chain Saw to compete with other budget chainsaws in the market.
The Black and Decker Alligator has astounding features such as powerful motors for easier cutting, and lightweight design that provides a convenient tool to use anytime. The LP1000 is a sturdy chainsaw that can be used for a more powerful cutting edge.
As the brand upholds its commitment of providing quality tools and equipment, one can have a big bite of tree limbs, brush, and fallen trees with this lopper—innovative cutting equipment that gives a chainsaw cutting performance in a very unintimidating machine.
The Black and Decker Alligator Chainsaw has a scissor-like performance as its metal jaw attaches onto logs, tree limbs, thick branches, and vines.
The product can saw through these obstacles with a powerful cutting capacity.
And, when the limbs are on the ground, the Black and Decker Alligator is fit for cutting them up into sizes you desire for your fireplace.
This surprising saw has a rugged 4.5A motor for quick and powerful chopping through of wood.
Aside from that this Black and Decker Alligator Chainsaw has a heavy-duty chain and cutting bar to easily chew through thick logs and branches. The chainsaw has an auto-tensioning to keep its cutting form.
All you got to do is to loosen the bar retainer bolts with the bar and wrench that automatically removes the slack then adjust the tension of the chain perfectly.
The Black and Decker Alligator chain saw’s jaws also provide a continuous cutting from the start. Compare to other chainsaws, the lopper has side-by-side cutting action, unlike the traditional chainsaw that cuts from top to bottom.
This action avoids the saw to be buried in the mess while cutting.
The lopper also cuts quicker because you do not need to prop it up on braces like saw horses. You just need to get the logs in the lopper jaws and cut through them instantly.
Black and Decker Alligator LP1000 Lopper Electric Chainsaw Features
- Comes with a top performing 4.5 amplifier motor
- High technology clamping jaws, allows faster cutting with just an easy motion
- Cuts up to 4” D of logs and branches
- Bar length: 6”
- Weight: 6 ½ lbs
- 2-year warranty
Advantages of the Black and Decker Alligator LP1000 Lopper Electric Chainsaw
- Many users go through an intensive online search for reliable, affordable, and heavy-duty chainsaws. This is why many are happy to have come across the Black and Decker Alligator Lopper Chainsaw. Based on most customer reviews, this product is the most promising for their cutting needs. It has a great cutting power that’s not easy to find in a budget chainsaw. It’s great for clearing the bush, tree pruning, storm aftermath clean-up, cutting wood and more.
- Some customers also note on the great cutting capacity of the lopper which enables them to cut through thick trees in no time, compare to other chainsaws. Many customers also love the Black and Decker Alligator Chainsaw because it can cut directly on the ground. They also claim that this product is comfortable to use since they say that the movement is so familiar. Most customers also say that the Black and Decker Alligator Chainsaw is safer to use than other chainsaws because the blade is totally enclosed. There is no danger of cutting yourself since the blade is covered.
- The Black and Decker Alligator gives a supremely managed cutting with its rugged metal guards. It prevents you from getting into the cutting chain, and they quickly get back onto the blades once cutting is done.
Disadvantages of the Black and Decker Alligator LP1000 Lopper Electric Chainsaw
- There are few reports from customers about a defective product delivered to them. But overall this is a great purchase for your money.
Who Is This For?
If you are looking for the best budget chainsaw that’s lightweight, compact and easy to use, the Aligator LP1000 is a good option for you. It’s great for its price and you’ll probably have fun using it!
#3. Makita XCU01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Chain Saw
The Makita XCU01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Chain Saw is a well-built, compact machine that delivers results.
The world’s finest cordless chainsaw, this model eliminates the hassle of electric cords and is not dependent on gas for power.
The Makita Chainsaw is light enough to not cause muscle strain even after long hours of use but still powerful enough to get the job done – from trimming branches and brush and cutting firewood to sawing small trees.
This tool packs value in its small frame. The Makita Chainsaw comes with an 18V LXT Lithium-Ion battery (doesn’t come with the battery) that does a tremendous amount of work before it goes out of power.
One full charge is good enough for sawing more than 50 pieces of 1-inch hardwood per full charge. It performs operations efficiently without creating disturbing noise typical of large gas-powered chainsaws.
It is very easy to use and requires little upkeep. To give you peace of mind, it is equipped with several safety features including an electric brake, safety lock switch, and guide bar.
Makita XCU01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Chain Saw Features
- Compact, light, and portable
- Easy to use and handle
- Instant on and off switch
- Multiple safety features
- Quiet, non-intrusive operations
- Power-efficient, rechargeable battery
- Minimal upkeep and maintenance
- Limited warranty
Advantages of the Makita XCU01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Chain Saw
- The Makita Chainsaw is one of the pricier electric chainsaws on the market, but rarely would you come across a review that says negative about its performance or capability. This machine never fails to impress customers. People find the Makita XCU01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Chain Saw easy to use. While small relative to standard chainsaws, it is tough enough to cut small trees, prune branches, clean brushes, and more. Because the chainsaw is light, it allows people to use it with little effort. Customers say they never experience muscle strain or injury even after long hours of use.
- If you are looking for a handy tool for limbing a tree or clear an area safely and easily, the Makita Chainsaw is an excellent option. It doesn’t need filling of a gas tank or chain oil tank. It is safer and easier to use if you need to work in dense woods, de-limb a tree, or clear hard-to-reach areas such as under fence wires.
- Customers also rave about its battery life; it can range from an hour to 3 hours, depending on the size of the tree you are cutting. There is minimal maintenance required. Just oil the chain before use, and you’re good to go.
- Anyone looking to accomplish yard work or household projects will find no better help than the Makita Chainsaw. Unlike standard-sized saws, the Makita Chainsaw has little chances of getting entangled in branches.
- Overall, customers are satisfied with how the Makita chainsaw works. If there are complaints, they are only a few.
Disadvantages of the Makita XCU01Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Chain Saw
- One reviewer finds the cuts rough.
- Another said finds the oiling mechanism messy; it would have been better if the chain is self-oiled. Most customers, however, overlook these little flaws because of the overall incredible value they get from the Makita cordless chainsaw.
Who Is This For?
The Makita Electric Chainsaw is a near flawless chainsaw, unlike many chainsaws out there in the market. This is impressive especially when you consider the complexity of the chainsaw. You will certainly get the most value out of the price you pay for this Makita Chainsaw.
#4. DEWALT DCCS620B 20V MAX XR Compact 12 in. Cordless Chainsaw
Unless you are optimizing for a smaller amount of foliage, most workers and enthusiasts would usually shy away from a 20V powered engine, as raw power seems to be of primary concern.
DeWalt surprises with an exceptionally made cordless electric chainsaw, that packs an enormous punch for a 20V lithium-ion battery power.
It’s low kickback 12 inch Oregon bar and chain is perfect for cleaning downed shrubs and trees and is perfect for both construction and outdoor cutting.
The highly efficient (and quiet) brushless motor extends the lifespan of the strong unit and has the added benefit and safety that it is quiet, rendering your earplugs unnecessary and the warnings of your colleagues and friends can be heeded and heard.
The swiftness of the chain is evident, as this chainsaw reaches a speed of 25.2 feet per second.
If you are working in more remote locations, or have no need of a tool belt, the DeWalt cordless sports a “tool-free” chain tensioning and adjustment via its conveniently placed knob, ensuring that the chain stays well conditioned for hundreds of uses.
The chainsaw has a very lightweight design, boasting a very light 8.8 pounds, making this chainsaw very easy for those one-handed jobs as well.
The hassle of starting a gas-powered saw and cleaning the residue is no longer a problem, as this silent chainsaw has a no-emission engine that will not get dirtied with oil, gas or other soot.
#5. BLACK+DECKER LCS1240 40-volt Cordless Chainsaw
Improving upon the already successful 20V model, Black & Decker have delivered a powerful cordless and battery operated chainsaw that is created to contend with its gas-powered competitors.
This powerful machine draws its strength from a single 40V lithium-ion battery, which saves you the hassle of needing to maintain multiple units simultaneously during use.
The Black & Decker cordless features a very sturdy and dependable 12 inch Oregon bar and chain, which makes cutting even the most difficult foilage very much doable.
For those that are working in more remote areas, or find that it is very difficult to return to your site, this cordless chainsaw offers a “Tool-free” knob which lets you adjust the tension of the chain, keeping it in proper form to deliver an excellent cut for hundreds of uses.
Perhaps the most impressive quality of this cordless machine is that it is both lightweight and eco-friendly.
The full wrap of the chainsaw allows cutting in various different orientations and is very lightweight and easy to use.
The fact that it is cordless and battery operated means that there are no emissions that come with the regular gas-powered chainsaws, and it comes with the added safety that no pull chains or cords are involved.
Best Gas Chainsaw Under 200 – Review:
6. Remington RM4216 Rebel 42cc Gas Powered Chainsaw
When you have tough jobs on your hands, you need a chainsaw that’s even tougher. Gas chainsaws pack more punch than electric saws, so a good rule of thumb is to match your saw with the task.
The bigger the job, the bigger your saw needs to be.
Remington has a good line of gas saws that is up to the test. Depending on what kind of job you’re looking to do, from trimming and pruning your tree to felling it, the Rebel series is a well-rounded option.
The Rebel 42cc engine delivers steady power, nimble handling, and optimal comfort in smaller 14, 16, and 18-inch bar options.
If you need to cut firewood or medium-sized limbs, the 16 inch Rebel has all the features you’ll need. It comes with a 5-point anti-vibration system, side access chain tensioning, automatic oiler, and QuickStart technology.
This model has all the great features of the 14-inch model plus larger load kickback bar and chains, which means increased cutting capacity.
Advantages of the Remington RM4216 Rebel 42cc Gas Powered Chainsaw
- Automatic Oiler. The 16 inch Rebel gas chainsaw comes with an automatic oil that helps keep the chain in tip-top condition. If you are tired of stopping in the midst of a large project to oil your chain, you’ll like this saw. It oiler releases a small amount of oil to the chain at regulated intervals to keep it well lubricated, thus preventing friction-induced wear. Even though you are spending less than a few hundred dollars on the saw, you’ll still be getting good value for your money.
- 5-Point Anti-Vibration System. Just like the other features on the saw that makes cutting easier, the anti-vibration system further reduces the cutting vibration by a significant degree. In addition, it also features an ergonomic handle which helps balance the saw in your hands for faster operation. For more comfort and less cutting fatigue, the Remington RM4216 Rebel is an ideal gas chainsaw you can trust. Not only is it from a reputable brand, but it actually gives you an easier time cutting.
- 16-inch Bar and Chain. Although the 14-inch model is smaller and makes cutting firewood in tight corners easy, you can’t compare its performance to this model. With a longer bar and stronger chain, handling medium to large projects will be easier.
- QuickStart Technology. If you are a seasoned pro, you know it’s a great pleasure to start your machine and get to work right away. The frustration of spending several minutes on your saw just to get it to rev up is bad both for your health and the project. With the QuickStart technology that comes with this machine, all you have to do is rev up and get right to cutting.
Disadvantages of the Remington RM4216 Rebel 42cc Gas Powered Chainsaw
- When stored, the Remington Rebel 16-inch chainsaw leaks chain oil. This can be disheartening when you expect so much to come from an established brand. However, it’s not so bad that it’s not manageable. It’s best to just take out the oil and leave it empty when it’s not in use especially if you are not going to use it for a long time.
- Another negative about the saw is that the choke is not stable. Because of that, it may not always produce a smooth operation every time you use it. Moreover, when it’s too hot, it might just stop working.
Who Is This For?
For anyone looking for a budget gas-powered chainsaw to handle medium to heavy duty cutting. The saw cuts well and feels balanced in the hand, so using it doesn’t get boring and fatiguing. All it takes is to start it and get in the operation.
What to Consider When Choosing a Budget Chainsaw
Buying a chainsaw is not only about the price.
Because putting forward only the price hides many other important considerations. And when that happens, you may not likely be buying the right chainsaw.
So what are the other important considerations outside of the pricing of a chainsaw? The closest and most important after the price is “Your Own Safety”
Why safety is a thing
When you are purchasing a chainsaw, the first thing you want to consider is your safety. Chainsaws are powerful tools that when not handled properly can lead to serious injury.
However, they are not different from other tools like table saws, routers, circular saws.
All of these include a piece of metal moving around the human flesh, which is the reason while chainsaw safety clothing is important when working with chainsaws.
This means that you should consider not only the safety features of the chainsaw but also the things that might affect your safety while operating the tool.
Therefore, what’s dangerous, in my opinion, is being lazy with regards to maintaining and sharpening your chainsaw, not understanding the physics at work, as well as thinking “Oh, let me do this as quickly as possible.”
If you wean yourself of these, you’ll also look at getting yourself a safety system and kit and training/course on tree felling and cross-cutting (if you can afford it).
I guarantee you this can go a long way if you are serious about working with a chainsaw.
Whether you are a well-trained veteran, or just starting out, you will always need the right tools for the task at hand, regardless of how much experience you have.
Balance power and ease of use
It is always important to balance power and ease-of-use on your chainsaws, as both can have consequences.
Bringing unit too powerful will cause some safety cautions and improper cuts, whereas bringing a unit that is too weak will put the entire task at risk of not getting done.
To remedy this, we have selected three chainsaws with varying qualities to choose from, and we provided the features and benefits of each.
Protective equipment is important
So, if you don’t know that some materials can kick back if they are under pressure when you’re cutting through them or that the spinning blades in the chainsaw have a gyroscopic force, you should invest in some protective equipment.
It doesn’t matter that you are buying a cheap chainsaw.
While it’s easy to argue that you can work with a chainsaw without safety equipment, you should ask yourself how much your limbs are really worth?
Because chainsaws at this price range are sometimes fiddly to maintain and less powerful, getting yourself some safety equipment like leggings, boots, helmet, mitts, isn’t going to be a bad thing (even if they up the total amount you end up spending).
Final Words on the Best Chainsaw Under 200
We hope that this guide has answered all your questions about choosing the best budget chainsaw. Hopefully, now that you’ve finished reading this guide, you have at least one chainsaw in mind for your future projects.
If one of these recommendations seems like a good fit, you can find out more about it by simply clicking on the links in the review.
If you are still searching, don’t worry! Head to our homepage to see our all-time favorite chainsaws. Most of them are good for a beginner or advanced cutting projects. Or check out Amazon best selling and top rated chainsaws to see what other folks are buying!