Looking for the best professional chainsaw? Yes, you are on the right page!
If you are looking to engage in tree felling, pruning, bucking, limbing, or harvesting of firewood professionally, choosing the right chainsaw is incredibly important.
If you are using a sub-par machine for your projects, not only are you shortchanging yourself but also your clients.
To help you achieve the best results with all your landscaping, felling, pruning, I’ve put together this set of professional-grade chainsaws.
These models are reliable, rugged, durable, and precise enough for both the beginner and pro user.
Read on to find out which chainsaws I recommend for professionals as well as find out which of them is best suited to your professional needs.
Electric vs Petrol vs Gas Chainsaws
When it comes to choosing a chainsaw for professional application, you are lucky to have many options. However, if you are just starting out, you may find it difficult to settle on one.
And unless you already have a brand in mind, you might end up wasting your time trying to select one that suits your preferences.
Here, I’ll help you with the advantages and disadvantages of each one so you can see clearly which one is for you.
Electric chainsaws differ from petrol and gas chainsaws because they don’t use oil and gas. They come in two modes: corded-electric and battery-powered electric chainsaws.
What Are the Advantages of Electric Chainsaws?
- One of the advantages of the electric chainsaw is that they are light and compact. This means they are easier to wield and carry around. Moreover, they are often quieter than gas chainsaws, which can be very important if you are working in a neighborhood that’s full of condominiums.
- With electric chainsaws, you don’t have to worry about mixing gas and oil or the smell of gas during operation. This will most likely help you focus and couple with the fact that it starts with the push of a button, getting into the work-mood can be quick.
- Because of their compactness, they are best for trimming limbs, cutting small logs, sprucing up trees and for any application that’s not too big.
What Are the Disadvantages of Electric Chainsaws?
- Although electric chainsaws are light and easy to carry, they often lack the stamina or power required to cut larger trees. If you know you’d be working with large trees regularly, it might be better to go with a gas or a petrol chainsaw since they make it easier to cut down large trees or turn them into firewood.
- Another problem you might face, if you choose the corded-electric chainsaw, is that you will find it lacks the mobility of a cordless chainsaw. You’ll need to get yourself an extension cord when you get one and how far you reach is limited to the length of the cord.
- If you decide to run away from a corded electric saw to a battery-powered one so you can reach more areas, you’ll also find that they are not as powerful as corded chainsaws. So, even if you end up covering more ground with a battery powered saw, you’ll find that the type of job you can do is still limited.
These are saws that use oil and gas and require the mixture and filling before use. They are bigger than electric chainsaws and are equally more powerful.
What Are the Advantages of Petrol Chainsaws?
- Just like gas-powered chainsaws, these saws come with more power fueled by a two-cycle engine. When it comes to handling big trees and logs, they are the go-to machine to do the job. They also have a longer blade than electric chainsaws which gives them some edge when it comes to cutting trees with thicker limbs.
- Another advantage is that they are easier to maneuver and wield than electric chainsaws as they often come cordless.
What Are the Disadvantages of Petrol Chainsaws?
- While they are powerful, these machines often require a higher level of upper body strength, and maybe, some experience. If you are a beginner, they might not be ideal as they are very big and may overwhelm you. If you are just looking to have a taste and not doing a lot of big trees, you may opt for an electric chainsaw.
These are best for heavy-duty and professional jobs. If you are looking for the machine to easy turn logs into firewood and shave down larger trees conveniently, they are the best out there!
What Are the Advantages of Gas Chainsaws?
- Gas chainsaws are more powerful than electric chainsaws and are suitable for dealing with bigger trees.
- They often come with different bar lengths that you can choose from to match the rigor of your professional activities. Moreover, they give you a wider spectrum of an area to work with. Since they are cordless, they don’t box you into any limitation in terms of mobility, which is an advantage over corded chainsaws.
- Another advantage of working with these chainsaws is that you don’t have to worry about running out of battery (a downside for battery-powered electric chainsaws), so you can work for as long as you want.
What Are the Disadvantages of Gas Chainsaws?
- In one word, they are heavy. This means they are not ideal for lengthy jobs. If you regularly find yourself in jobs that require more time to complete, you’ll find a better alternative in electric chainsaws unlike you don’t mind getting tired faster.
- Another downside to gas chainsaws is that you’ll be mixing oil and gas and you can’t escape the unmissable smell of gas. If you don’t like that, you’ll be better off with another chainsaw-type.
- If you are a beginner, you may equally be repelled by the higher starting price of gas chainsaws compared to electric chainsaws. If you are just looking to test the waters and prefer to work on a budget, for the time being, I’ll advise you look into electric models as they are often cheaper.
Now that you understand what to look for, what’s next?
You may not even be able to narrow down to a specific chainsaw after considering all these features. Not to worry!
I’ve have done all the research for you.
Instead of spending hours or days trying to select the right chainsaw, here are the best professional chainsaws this year:
Best Professional Chainsaw Reviews (in 2018/2019):
- Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw
- Makita XCU02PT 18V X2 (36V) LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 12″ Chain Saw
- Makita XCU03PT1 Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Chain Saw
- DEWALT DCCS690M1 40V 4AH Lithium Ion XR Brushless Chainsaw
- OREGON CORDLESS 40 Volt MAX CS250-S6 Chain Saw
The following is a complete review of each of these chainsaws. In each review, I’ve covered the pros, cons, and specific feature of each model.
Let’s get right into the world of chainsaws with this in-depth reviews and recommendations.
1. Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw
The Greenworks 16 INCH 40V cordless chainsaw is perfect for both the seasoned veteran lumberjack and gardener or beginners who are just starting to master the craft.
This cordless chainsaw is as quiet as it is powerful, and provides enough raw torque for most gardening and wood-cutting needs.
The cordless feature makes it safer for anyone to use and provides mobility to its holder.
The true optimizing qualities of this chainsaw is that it competes with its gas-powered alternative, boasting a 30% increase in its powerful torque, and a 70% decrease in vibration, handling, and noise.
The materials of this chainsaw are very sturdy and durable, as this powerful tool gives you an 80% greater lifespan than it’s gas alternatives.
Donning a strong, Oregon based bar and chain, accompanying metal bucking spikes, and an oiler that automates its own lubrication, you will cut the traditional problems of having to mix oil and gas together.
And with that, you’ll still be able to enjoy the smooth finish and feel of a newly oiled blade, without all the hassle of having to clean cords or smell the putridness of fumes.
You won’t need to worry about using specialized tools to change the chain, as tightness can be adjusted on this lightweight and powerful tool with just the use of your hands.
2. Makita XCU02PT 18V X2 (36V) LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 12″ Chain Saw
With the Makita Cordless, the first thing you will notice is that the motor delivers such an amazing amount of speed and power at a very negligible noise level.
Do not be fooled by the 18v lithium batteries, this chainsaw packs quite a punch, as it is powered by not one, but two lithium-ion batteries, which are included in the order.
To get full 36V power from this beast, the Makita Cordless comes equipped with dual charging platforms, so that you can double the effective time and get more juice from your engine.
You won’t need to bring your tools with you when making adjustments, as this chainsaw features an adjustable and convenient chain, that can be done quickly and safely with just the use of your hands.
The Makita Cordless is a great alternative to its gas counterpart, as it delivers matching speed and power with less noise, while also saving you the hassle of cleaning the oil and grease every so often.
For added handling and safety, a rubberized and steady grip handguard will provide an emergency brake should the chain be engaged, and an electric brake is added to maximize productivity.
3. Makita XCU03PT1 Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Chain Saw
This Cordless powerhouse chainsaw is built to provide the same power that a gas powered chainsaw will provide, except it is done more effectively, more efficiently and more quietly to not disturb the peace in your neighborhood.
In fact, it has enough power to match a 32cc chainsaw running on gas. The Makita Brushless dons a speed trigger that is variable and adjustable, which lets you set the tone to maximize performance to the task at hand.
Worried about having the right equipment with you to adjust the chain?
The Makita Brushless boasts that its chain adjustment can be done by hand, so no assistance is required from the toolbelt.
For maximized safety precautions and purposes, Makita Brushless’ built-in lever locks off, which prevents the chain from actively engaging should a situation get out of hand.
For those that are gardening or woodworking at night, a built-in LED illuminated on and off switch is conveniently placed to conserve energy, and the chainsaw automatically shuts off if left idle to extend the lifespan of the battery and reduce wear and tear of the engine.
This eco-friendly chainsaw has zero emissions, and also requires no maintenance in terms of cleaning grease or changing the oil.
Powered by two 18V lithium-ion batteries, this chainsaw comes with a dual charger and two additional batteries, to make sure that you always have enough power to finish any job, large and small.
4. DEWALT DCCS690M1 40V 4AH Lithium Ion XR Brushless Chainsaw
For those worried about the tangling and safety concerns of cords, this brushless motor, the cordless chainsaw is as safe as they get.
Donning a 40V lithium-ion battery, you can reduce the hassle of having to use multiple battery packs on one machine and get the same power in just one unit to finish your task.
A very lightweight and quiet machine, this chainsaw only weights 9.1 pounds without its battery mounted, and is very silent while going about your task, letting you complete your work without waking up anyone in your household.
With traditional gas-powered chainsaws, the maintenance required from lubricating and oiling the unit is not a bother, as this zero-emission machine features an incredible, and easy to refill, auto-oiling and Lubrilink and Lubriwell which provides automatic and continuous lubrication.
Don’t have your tools with you while completing the task at hand?
The Dewalt Brushless chainsaw sports a “tool-free” chain adjustment, bar tightening and tensioning knob to give you the flexibility of a variable clamp force.
The sturdy Oregon bar and chain will have you absolutely gliding through anything you want to cut through, quickly and precisely.
OREGON CORDLESS 40 Volt MAX CS250-S6 Chain Saw
The Oregon Cordless surprises even the most veteran handler to its ease of use.
The hassle and pain of cords do not intrude on its performance, as the chainsaw features an instant start mechanism that requires no warm-up, no pull-cords and no mixing of gas and oil.
The powerful 40V torque that it offers comes packaged in just a single battery unit, which is included in this bundle, to save you the trouble of needing to place multiple batteries and switching them between charging stations, giving you a longer run time for the task at hand.
The chainsaw dons an incredible speed, running at 2350 rpm with its sturdy and capable 14-inch bar.
To save additional time and effort, the chainsaw features an amazing self-sharpening system, which sharpens on the job in seconds, so that there are no more worries of a dull chain if the chainsaw is accidentally mishandled or misplaced.
Perhaps the most powerful feature of all, the no-fade battery provides just as much cutting power whether at full battery strength, or less than a quarter charge.
If safety was a previous concern, the safety chain brake, kickback chain/guide bar and an interlocking trigger will provide an enormous relief and peace of mind to even the most experienced users.
Most would shy away from a cordless machine if they needed massive power for a large job, but this Oregon Cordless chainsaw was built to match a gas-powered counterpart with its low profile 3/8-inch pitch and 60 minutes of battery runtime.
Final Words on the Best Professional Chainsaw
When looking for the best professional chainsaw for the money, you’ll need to first draw out your needs, expectations, and most importantly, your budget.
Make sure your expectations is not far from your budget as that will help you select the right one quickly and save you a lot of headaches later one.
You should also restrict your order to genuine online stores like Amazon which we always recommend because of their widely trusted brand and reputation. Or shop from the manufacturers directly so there is no middleman.
The advantage of choosing a reputable retailer or brand is that you get quality guarantees and can return the chainsaw if it’s defective on delivery.
When you click any of the links above, you’ll be taken to the product page for the chainsaw, where you can read reviews from other users like you. With this guide, you should be able to choose the one that suits you and reinforce your decision with the reviews on the product page.