When someone mentions the word “chainsaw”, the mind immediately goes to the muscular action hero in cut-off jeans with bulging biceps, holding up a massive rumbling two-stroke engine with a deafening noise challenging a bunch of zombies in a terrible horror movie.
This is an image fixed in the mind’s eye and is not easy to erase. But then, the difference from what we are going to discuss here is that those are gas chainsaws.
Naturally, this image would change dramatically if the other end of the chainsaw was connected to a long electrical cord, which was, in turn, tethered to a wall socket.
But electric chainsaws are as versatile and can perform most jobs satisfactorily that the homeowners throw at them.
Unlike its gas counterpart, for starters, the electric chainsaw would not stop and putter at the crucial moment, but just keep buzzing.
Almost all experts are of the opinion that finding an electric chainsaw for your requirements is quite difficult, compared with that of their gas-operated counterparts, because they do not offer as many varieties in size and utility.
But the fact is that electric chainsaws are perfect for household use because they pack enough power to perform common jobs around the house.
Naturally, all electric chainsaws are not made the same, that is, all of them are not built for very heavy-duty work such as cutting firewood.
Advantages of an Electric Chainsaw
When it comes to chainsaws, electric chainsaws are the most affordable that you can get and simple, when it comes to using them.
Unlike starting a gas-operated chainsaw which looks rather dramatic and dangerous at the same time, the electric chainsaw is literally as easy to operate as pushing a button.
Let us look at some of the advantages of an electric chainsaw:
This is one the most important of advantages that an electric chainsaw has over gas-operated chainsaws which are much bigger and heavier.
They are smaller and more compact, owing to the fact that they do not have a gas tank attached to them.
This makes them more appropriate to use for people who do not have much lumbering experience and are elderly.
This is another attractive feature of an electric chainsaw; they are priced much lesser when compared to gas-operated chainsaws.
For this reason, they are preferred by many homeowners who like to do their own chopping for firewood or use them for gardening purposes such as pruning, or cutting off small trees or branches.
3. Small Size
The small size of an electric chainsaw is another factor that is a winner over the other heavier options. It gives the user maneuverability to carry out many tasks with ease around the house as mentioned above.
4. Low in Maintenance
Since this is an electric chainsaw, you will never have to cover your eyes in fear of the gas fumes that other options present.
Because of this reason, there is no maintenance required, no hassle of mixing gas with oil and so on and so forth. This is as simple as switching the button on when required.
You will not be waking any neighbors if you decide to take up a job around the house in the early hours.
Compare this with a gas chainsaw which can be very noisy and annoying, and everyone in the neighborhood would know what you are up to.
Disadvantages of an Electric Chainsaw
Though there are not many disadvantages to an electric chainsaw, there are a couple we need to address.
1. Presence of an Electric Cord
This is one of the major disadvantages of an electric chainsaw, and the gas ones are clear winners here.
While operating an electric chainsaw, you will have to constantly be mindful of the electric cord that is tethering it to the power source.
This essentially means that even though you will get used to this eventually, you will still have to deal with it continually.
It also means that you will be working around a determined radius around the power source, depending on the length of the power cord.
2. Not Great for Heavy-Duty Tasks
You cannot hope to achieve heavy-duty tasks with these chainsaws as they are not as powerful as the gas-operated ones. For homeowners who want a tool which is light and cuts away large trees, this is a disadvantage.
What to Look for in an Electric Chainsaw
Apart from the advantages and disadvantages, here are a few important things you should consider while looking for an electric chainsaw.
A great quality chainsaw will come with safety features to protect you from any injury that might occur as a result of kickback.
2. Ease of Use
It is important that this chainsaw is easy to use because apart from you, it might be used by other family persons which could include elderly people. And let’s face it, you want it to be a simple plug-and-play device.
How to determine a chainsaw is performing is by judging its cutting speed. The faster the cutting speed, the better the performance.
Top 5 Reviews of Electric Chainsaws
Here are some of the top electric chainsaws on the market:
1. Makita UC3551A 14″ Electric Chain Saw
The Makita UC3551A 14″ Electric Chain Saw will come in handy in many of your backyard projects and will cut through anything you throw at it with quite ease.
It has been engineered for fast-cutting, easy maintenance, and very efficient operation, and possesses a chain speed of 2,900 FPM (feet per minute) which cuts and trims efficiently.
To prevent it from burning out, the motor has an inbuilt current limiter which will reduce power when the motor is overloaded.
You can just start the Makita UC3551A with the single press of a button.
- Has a large oil reservoir with a viewing window which allows you to check the oil level.
- Has an inbuilt limiter to prevent the motor from burning out under heavy loads.
- Has a big start/stop button for smooth and easy operation.
- This product comes with a 1-year warranty and you can return it within a 30-day period following which the company will provide you with a refund or replacement.
- It is equipped with a rubberized handle for increased comfort while cutting.
- The 14-inch blade is sufficient for most common cutting tasks.
- Very smooth on and off operation, very easy to use.
- Has absolutely zero emissions with low maintenance.
- Tool-free blade and chain adjustments assist in a convenient operation.
- Only designed for light and moderate tasks and hence cannot undertake heavy cutting operations.
- If not stored properly, the oil has a tendency to leak.
Buy It Here
You can buy the MakitaUC3551A here.
2. Ivation 16-Inch 15.0 Amp Electric Chainsaw
If you are looking for a heavier chainsaw, the Ivation is for you.
It has a 16-inch Oregon chain that is perfect if you are looking to do some light branch-cutting work or thinking of landscaping your backyard.
It is even capable of felling light and medium-sized trees. It is powered at 15 amps, which the company claims puts it in the category of gas chainsaws.
It has a built-in oil reservoir with a window to peek into the oil levels and the lubrication operation is completely automatic.
The manufacturers even throw in a free oil bottle. It is extremely quiet and has a great power-weight ratio.
- Makes use of the Oregon chain which is ideal for farmers or ranch owners alike for light to medium-cutting jobs
- It features a safe starting system, you have to push the lock off before pressing the start button to avoid accidental start-offs.
- Has a built-in chain brake and low kickback bar for more safety.
- Features front and rear hand guards for protection from flying debris and the chain.
- 15-amp power in your hands feels like you are operating a gas-powered chainsaw.
- It has a tool-free assembly for added comfort while changing the chain.
- Has an automatic chain lubrication system and comes with oil.
- Very moderately priced compared with other chainsaws in this category.
- It is not one of the best-known brands so users tend to give it a wide berth.
- Some customers have complained of a bad-quality chain and difficulty in replacement.
Buy It Here
You can buy the Ivation 16-inch here.
3. Homelite 9 Amp Electric Chainsaw
If you are the type of person who does not use a chainsaw sparingly and does not want to spend too much money on equipment that is barely used, the Homeline 9 amp electric chainsaw fits the bill perfectly.
This saw is perfect for light jobs such as removing small roots, trees and felling small trees. Customer reviews have shown that it is effective up to felling 16” trees without much wear and tear.
It is a light-to-handle electric saw and anyone who has used power tools before should be perfectly capable of using it.
- As a safety mechanism, you have to first press a lock-out button to start the machine, ensuring that the chainsaw is not started by accident.
- Starts up instantly even after months of non-use.
- The bar is fitted with another safety feature called Safe-T Tip, which prevents rotational kickbacks.
- Uses a popular type of chain which can be replaced quite easily from any hardware store.
- Bumper spikes provide stability while cutting.
- Has handguards on both the front and rear to protect your hands from flying debris and the chain itself.
- Has great safety features for a product in its price range.
- Is definitely very fairly priced compared with other products.
- Very easy to start and operate.
- Has a tool-less chain tensioning system for easy maintenance.
- Users have complained of the oil leaking out sometimes while the chainsaw is stored.
- Need to check the chain tension regularly in order to avoid it from slipping off the bar.
Buy It Here
You can buy the HomeLite 9 amp here.
4. Black+Decker LP1000 4.5 Amp
If you like working with your hands, you don’t need to lug a big chainsaw around with you all the time.
The Black+Decker LP1000 breaks the traditional mold of chainsaws with a ‘jaw-cutting’ design which works great around the backyard and also offers you great power under $100.
Being electrical, it not only has zero emissions, but its saws are made of durable steel that is built to last.
The scissor-style design means you can operate this little wonder for a longer period and it saves you from any potential kickback.
- Unconventional and innovative clamping jaws design.
- Tool-less chain functioning that saves a lot of time on maintenance.
- Bar length is 6 inches, and this tool can cut up wood up to 4 inches.
- A 100-foot extension cord is provided, meaning you can spend hours in your backyard without worrying about disconnecting it from the source.
- The 4.5-amp power output means that this chainsaw has a lot of power that ensures the cutting is fast.
- The cutting bar is quite heavy-duty, which means chopping down small trees is easy.
- Has a great ergonomic grip that sits comfortably in your hands.
- It comes backed with a 2-year warranty.
- Some customers have complained of having to frequently refill oil (for lubrication).
Buy It Here
5. Dewalt DCCS620P1 20v Max Chainsaw Kit
If you are looking for a battery-powered chainsaw that works perfectly for light-cutting jobs around the backyard, look no further than the Dewalt DCCS620P1.
This is a high-end cordless chainsaw because the manufacturers pay a lot of attention to innovation, technology, and quality.
The chain tension is corrected out-of-the-box and is toolless just in case. This tool is also designed to handle tough outdoor and construction jobs such as demolition work with a lot of runtimes and great motor life.
- Has an Oregon bar and chain for low kickbacks.
- Is compact and lightweight, built for maximum maneuverability.
- Has a bar tightening knob and tool-free tensioning for easy maintenance.
- Features a high-efficiency brushless motor that maximizes motor life and runtime.
- Impressive power output for a product in its category.
- Can deliver up to 70 cuts on 4×4” and 30 cuts on a 6×6”.
- Works well without making much sound.
- The design is well-balanced and sits lightly on your hands, reducing fatigue.
- Some customers have complained that the product leaks chain oil when stored.
Buy It Here
You can buy the Dewalt DCCS660P1 here.
Final Words on the Best Electric Chainsaws
If you are keen to buy a chainsaw, you might find yourself drowning into product reviews and getting confused about which one to buy.
If your intended use is cutting firewood, thick branches and small trees, you should consider investing in an electric chainsaw.
These not only have a considerable advantage over their gas-operated counterparts when it comes to no emissions but also provide great value for money.
You should also consider your surroundings and experience before you proceed to buy, whether you are going to be using it indoors or whether you have used power tools before.
And last but not least, you should always ask for the safety features your electric chainsaw has if you have no prior experience in using chainsaws.
Read More: Best Chainsaw for Under 200